Wingate claim first away win of season

Wingate claim first away win of season

Blues deservedly come away from Worthing with three points, writes Khalid Karimullah.

Andrew Sherwood is the Jewish News Sport and Community Editor

Wingate & Finchley turned in a mature away performance as they came away from Worthing with a 4-1 win, despite playing the last half hour of the match with ten men.

Ryman Premier League Division:
Worthing 1 Wingate & Finchley 4
Saturday, 10 September, 2016

Following a bright start from Keith Rowland’s side, the opening goal arrived after just six minutes. In a move started by Ola Williams, he combined with Freddy Moncur and Luke Ifil, before the latter found Williams whose strike from outside the area deflected past Rikki Banks.

Wingate found themselves in full control. Freddy Moncur’s whipped-in cross came within inches of being tapped home by Sean Cronin at the near-post, forcing Omar Bugiel to make a hurried and vital clearance. A double chance followed soon after. Reece Beckles first forced a goal-line clearance from centre-back Gary Elphick, as Ifil on the rebound hit his low strike inches wide to the relief of the home crowd. By this time the Blues had also struck the post, as Rob Laney came inches away from doubling the lead in a on-on-one.

Despite the North Finchley outfit dominating, the scores were level after 23 minutes. Bugiel took full advantage of a defensive error from half-way inside the visitors half, as he raced through on goal and rolled the ball inside the near-post and past Shane Gore.

Ryan Sellers and Moncur combined, forcing another important challenge from Elphick, Ahmet Rifat hit his low drive towards goal forcing Banks into a good stop, before the hosts hit the woodwork. Brannon O’Neill’s free-kick arrived towards Lloyd Dawes, who despite failing to get a full connection, still found his header hit the post.

It was end-to-end after the restart. Rifat met Moncur’s corner forcing another goal-line clearance this time from Steve Metcalf, as Harvey Sparks’ first time hit went inches past the woodwork. The lead was restored in the 56th minute when Cronin found John Mbamarah to power a header into the top corner at the near-post.

Just three minutes later, the Blues were down to 10-men. Cronin was harshly sent-off after the referee deemed he committed a second bookable offence, following a 50-50 tussle inside the hosts’ box. Sellers made a vital block from Dawes’ goal-bound strike, Will Hendon’s dangerous ball across the six-yard box evaded both Reis Stanislaus and Dawes, as Worthing continued to make their advantage count.

The game was then put to bed in a seven-minute spell. Sellers played Tanasheh Abrahams down the left whose delivered in cross was controlled by Moncur to smash home after 83 minutes. And it was four right at the end with Moncur on target again, sliding in his effort across Banks following good pressure and turnover of possession.

Worthing FC:
Rikki Banks, Steve Metcalf, Sam Rents, Kane Wills (Reis Stanislaus 60), Gary Elphick, Henry Watson, Will Hendon, Brannon O’Neill, Lloyd Dawes, Omar Bugiel, Harvey Sparks
Unused Subs: Matt Axell, Jack Fagan, Ross Edwards, Matt Piper

Wingate & Finchley:
Shane Gore, Ola Williams, Ryan Sellers, John Mbamarah, Sean Cronin, Ahmet Rifat, Luke Ifil, Freddy Moncur, Rob Laney (Rob Ogleby 79), Tommy Tejan-Sie, Reece Beckels-Richards (Tanasheh Abrahams 67)
Unused Subs: Steve Wales, Alfie Bartram 


Mr B.Knight

WingateTV: Freddy Moncur & John Mbamarah post Worthing:

read more: