Police in Manchester have launched an investigation into the desecration of a Jewish cemetery over the weekend, and it’s being treated as a ”hate crime’.
Vandals who smashed a Jewish grave have been branded a “a complete disgrace to humanity”, as community leaders condemned the attack.
Shocking images show the smashed grave (Ohel) and windows at a Jewish cemetery in Whitefield, Prestwich, north Manchester, which was vandalised over the weekend.
A statement from Greater Manchester Police said it is being treating it as a hate crime. They were called on Saturday night after reports it had been vandalised between midday on Friday and early morning on Saturday.
“Officers attended and found that three separate chapels within the cemetery had been damaged – including a prominent headstone.
Two windows were smashed along with a number of sinks and CCTV was also stolen from within one of the chapels.”
Superintendent Paul Walker, of GMP’s Bury division, said: “We have launched an investigation and whilst the CCTV has been destroyed by the offenders – clearly in an attempt to cover their tracks – I can assure you that we have a team of dedicated officers working to piece together exactly what happened in an attempt to find those responsible.
“I understand that this incident will have caused distress to many members of our community and we are working alongside our partners including Community Security Trust to ensure that those affected are fully supported.
“We are treating this incident as a hate crime and I want to send a clear message that incidents of this nature will never be tolerated in our communities. I would encourage anyone with any information to get in touch as soon as possible.”
Anyone with information should call police on 0161 856 8172 quoting incident number 2282 of 09/02/2019, or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Greater Manchester Police Prestwich tweeted in the aftermath of the incident: “I hope the scumbags who desecrated a graveyard in Whitefield are proud! You are a complete disgrace to humanity! This is not what the community of Whitefield are about or accept. Anyone with info particularly about anyone trying to offload copper piping should contact us.”
Shmuli Brown posted the devastating images on Saturday night, saying: “These cowards picking on the dead trashed the place.” His tweet was retweeted more than 2,500 times, including by Home Secretary, Sajid Javid.
He added later, “they stole the sinks, pipe work and opened up one tombstone with the hopes of finding a treasure.”
Today, the Jewish cemetery in Whitefield, Manchester was vandalised and graves were smashed. These cowards picking on the dead trashed the place. This is a horrible act of antisemitsm. pic.twitter.com/144tAIQIHZ
— Shmuli Brown (@UniRabbi) February 9, 2019
Jim Jones, Strategic Partnership Inspector for Greater Manchester Police in the borough of Bury wrote on Twitter: “I am ashamed to think these people live amongst us. Having spent the week promoting hate crime awareness and been so welcomed by the Jewish community at local events it feels like we have let them down. We will always come back stronger and better together”.
Bury MP Ivan Lewis said: “The attack on Whitefield Ohel is an absolute disgrace. Made worse by the fact the desecration took place on the Jewish Shabbos. Anyone with information about the culprits should contact Gtr Mcr Police immediately. Those responsible must feel the full force of the law.
A spokesperson for the Community Security Trust said: “Members of CST’s Northern Office team attended Whitefield Cemetery on Saturday night and saw the extent of the damage. We are now working with Police and hope that those responsible can be found and brought to justice.”
The attack on Whitefield Ohel is an absolute disgrace. Made worse by the fact the desecration took place on the Jewish Shabbos.
Anyone with information about the culprits should contact Gtr Mcr Police immediately. Those responsible must feel the full force of the law.
— Ivan Lewis (@IvanLewis_MP) February 9, 2019
While life in Israel has returned to normal and hopes are high that Britain is set for a summer without restrictions thanks to vaccines, for billions around the world there is no such imminent light at the end of the tunnel. In the majority of countries around the globe, particularly the poorest, the vaccine rollout has barely kicked off.
That's why Jewish News, the leading source of news and opinion for the entire UK community, is throwing its full weight behind UNICEF’s VaccinAid campaign by using this platform usually reserved for encouraging donations towards our own journalism to instead urge our readers around the globe to perform the greatest mitzvah: saving a life.
We have never before done this for any charity fundraiser but it's hard to recall a campaign that affects so many people, and indeed an entire planet aching for a return to normality. Just like the Chief Rabbi and Rachel Riley, we hope to boost the mission to deliver two billion vaccines, 165 million treatments and 900 million test kits around the world by the end of this year.
Please donate as much as you can, in the spirit of the Talmudic sages: “to save one life is to save the world entire”