Sweet potatoes and pureed chick peas have a magical way of producing a very ‘creamy’ texture together. Topped with slightly spiced chick peas this makes a delicious healthy and vegan soup for the whole family.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time:15 minutes Serves: 6 people
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large red onions – peeled and roughly chopped
1 kg – (approx. 4 ) sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons dried coriander
2 tins 400g chick peas – drained and rinsed
1 1/2 litres vegetable stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
Garnish: 100g tinned chick peas – drained
Drizzle extra virgin olive oil, dried coriander
Sprigs of fresh coriander
- Heat the olive oil, onions, sweet potato and coriander in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add the chick peas and stock.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until potatoes are cooked through. Season to taste.
- Puree soup using a stick blender or liquidizer until smooth.
- Reheat before serving.
- For the garnish, place the chick peas on a tray lined with baking parchment paper.
- Drizzle over some extra virgin olive oil, dried coriander, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes on 200° C/ 400° F/ Gas mark 6 for 20 minutes or until golden and crispy. Remove and set aside.
- Reheat soup when ready to serve and garnish with roasted chick peas.
Next Cookery class: Thurs 9 Nov: Slimmers’ World Dining
Call 01923 836 456, www.jewishcookery.com