This soup has a beautiful smooth texture with an aromatic coconut and subtle lemongrass flavour. Lemongrass, which is widely available in supermarkets, adds a subtle Asian flavour to the dish. This hearty vegan recipe works great served in small bowls as starter, or a larger serving as a low-calorie lunch.
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil / vegetable oil
- 2 red onions – peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic – peeled and chopped
- 2 cm fresh ginger – peeled and finely chopped
- 2 stalks of lemongrass – stalks trimmed and very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1kg sweet potato – peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 350g Passover coconut milk
- Salt and pepper – to taste
Topping: Toasted desiccated coconut, Chilli flakes – optional
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan. Add the onions, garlic, ginger, lemongrass and coriander and sauté for 5 minutes for the flavours to expand.
- Add the sweet potato, vegetable stock and coconut milk.
- Bring to the boil and simmer covered for about 20 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft.
- Liquidise or puree the soup with a stick blender and season. Serve hot.
- Top with a sprinkling of toasted desiccated coconut and chilli flakes.
Preparation time: 25 minutes. Cooking time: 20 minutes. Serves: 6