A wartime Nazi camp guard who will not stand trial because of his ill-health is likely to be guilty of aiding and abetting hundreds of murders, a German court has said.
The state court in the western city of Wuppertal announced on Wednesday that it had decided not to put the suspect on trial because of his physical condition.
The 96-year-old, named as Harry S, is accused of being an accessory to hundreds of murders for his alleged membership of the local SS at the Stutthof camp, near Gdansk in modern-day Poland.
But the court added in its statement that there were “very strong suspicions that the accused was guilty of aiding and abetting murder in several hundred concurrent cases”.
He is accused escort at least one transport of prisoners from Stutthof to Auschwitz-Birkenau.
Under German law Harry S will have to pay the costs of the legal proceedings against him, the AFP agency said.
The SS unit at Stutthof guarded the camp between June 1944 and May 1945, when the war ended.
It was initially a collection point for residents, many of them Jewish, from the city of Danzig, as Gdansk was then known.
The site later became as “work education camp” where many forced labourers died.
Tens of thousands of Jews from the Baltic region and the Auschwitz death camp were sent there from the middle of 1944 after a gas chamber was installed on the site.
Last year, SS private Bruno Dey, 93, was convicted of over 5,000 counts of accessory to murder for his role as a Stutthof guard.
He received a suspended two-year prison sentence.
Thank you for helping to make Jewish News the leading source of news and opinion for the UK Jewish community. Today we're asking for your invaluable help to continue putting our community first in everything we do.
Unlike other Jewish media, we do not charge for content. That won’t change. Because we are free, we rely on advertising to cover our costs. This vital lifeline, which has dropped in recent years, has fallen further due to coronavirus.
For as little as £5 a month you can help sustain the vital work we do in celebrating and standing up for Jewish life in Britain.
Jewish News holds our community together and keeps us connected. Like a synagogue, it’s where people turn to feel part of something bigger. It also proudly shows the rest of Britain the vibrancy and rich culture of modern Jewish life.
You can make a quick and easy one-off or monthly contribution of £5, £10, £20 or any other sum you’re comfortable with.
100% of your donation will help us continue celebrating our community, in all its dynamic diversity...
Being a community platform means so much more than producing a newspaper and website. One of our proudest roles is media partnering with our invaluable charities to amplify the outstanding work they do to help us all.
There’s no shortage of oys in the world but Jewish News takes every opportunity to celebrate the joys too, through projects like Night of Heroes, 40 Under 40 and other compelling countdowns that make the community kvell with pride.
In the first collaboration between media outlets from different faiths, Jewish News worked with British Muslim TV and Church Times to produce a list of young activists leading the way on interfaith understanding.
Royal Mail issued a stamp honouring Holocaust hero Sir Nicholas Winton after a Jewish News campaign attracted more than 100,000 backers. Jewish News also produces special editions of the paper highlighting pressing issues including mental health and Holocaust remembrance.
In an age when news is readily accessible, Jewish News provides high-quality content free online and offline, removing any financial barriers to connecting people.
Voice of our community to wider society
The Jewish News team regularly appears on TV, radio and on the pages of the national press to comment on stories about the Jewish community. Easy access to the paper on the streets of London also means Jewish News provides an invaluable window into the community for the country at large.
We hope you agree all this is worth preserving.