Berlin bans annual Al-Quds march  
search

The latest Jewish News

Read this week’s digital edition

Click Here

Berlin bans annual Al-Quds march  

'Participants unscrupulously exploit freedom of expression and assembly to spread their hatred', said the Jewish community's leader

The striking Hezbollah flag during the Al-Quds rally in London, 2016 (Photo credit: Steve Winston)
The striking Hezbollah flag during the Al-Quds rally in London, 2016 (Photo credit: Steve Winston)

Berlin has banned the annual anti-Israel Al-Quds Day march this year, the first time the city has taken a stand against the event since it became a local tradition in 1996.

Al Quds Day, which protests the establishment of the state of Israel, was established in 1979 by Iran’s leader Ayatollah Khomeini. Since then, his followers have marked the day in cities around the world with large Muslim populations, during or shortly after Ramadan.

Jewish and pro-Israel groups have tried for years to have the march banned as a purely antisemitic demonstration. It is illegal in Germany to call for the destruction of Israel.

“Participants unscrupulously exploit freedom of expression and assembly to spread their hatred,” Josef Schuster, head of the Central Council of Jews in Germany, told the Judische Allgemeine newspaper.

Germany designated the Iranian-backed Hezbollah militant group as a terrorist organization last year, and Schuster added that the move “should make it easier to ban the Al-Quds march, because the connection to the banned Hezbollah is obvious.” In 2016, Berlin barred Al Quds marchers from carrying Hezbollah flags, saying the image of an upraised assault weapon is a call for genocide.

Since 1996, Berlin’s annual demonstration has attracted between 300 and 1,000 Islamists. Men and women march separately.

According to the Judische Allegemeine Zeitung, several Palestinian groups were among the 2,000 people who had registered to attend the event scheduled for May 8. Last year’s march was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Help perform the greatest mitzvah: save a life

While life in Israel has returned to normal and hopes are high that Britain is set for a summer without restrictions thanks to vaccines, for billions around the world there is no such imminent light at the end of the tunnel. In the majority of countries around the globe, particularly the poorest, the vaccine rollout has barely kicked off.

That's why Jewish News, the leading source of news and opinion for the entire UK community, is throwing its full weight behind UNICEF’s VaccinAid campaign by using this platform usually reserved for encouraging donations towards our own journalism to instead urge our readers around the globe to perform the greatest mitzvah: saving a life.

We have never before done this for any charity fundraiser but it's hard to recall a campaign that affects so many people, and indeed an entire planet aching for a return to normality. Just like the Chief Rabbi and Rachel Riley, we hope to boost the mission to deliver two billion vaccines, 165 million treatments and 900 million test kits around the world by the end of this year.

Please donate as much as you can, in the spirit of the Talmudic sages: “to save one life is to save the world entire”

read more:
comments