Wingate beaten at Bognor

Wingate beaten at Bognor

WINGATEWEBWingate and Finchley were cruelly denied a win that their efforts deserved in a harsh 1-0 defeat at Bognor Regis Town, writes Paul Lerman.

London Senior Cup Semi-Final:
Bognor Regis 1 Wingate & Finchley 0
Saturday, 12 April, 2014


Despite dominating the match and missing many good chances, some bizarre officiating contrived against the Blues who are in desperate need of the points.

Bognor started well and had a few early forays down their right wing, and from one such attack Tuck volleyed wide from a deep cross.

Bognor looked dangerous in this early spell though failed to hit the target, and at the other end Ahmet Rifat switched back a deep corner into the box, and a defender’s header put it into Tommy Tejan-Sie’s path but he volleyed inches over the bar from ten yards.

Bognor’s Pearce had a shot from the edge of the area deflected narrowly wide, and as both sides continued to threaten Rifat slid a ball through to Ola Sogbanmu on the left side of the area, though his shot was poked wide by the keeper’s foot.

Josh Kennet had the next chance but miscontrolled at the far post, and Sogbanmu’s low drive was deflected wide. However, it was after the break that Wingate really controlled the match.

Early in the second half Leon Fisher fired at the near post but the keeper was well-positioned and collected the ball. Sogbanmu then teed up Kennet but he sliced wide with a good chance from ten yards.

After an incredible 15 minute spell of Wingate pressure, Hopkinson broke for Bognor but curled a shot wide in a rare chance.

Back at the other end, Paul Wright sent a delightful accurate upfield ball to Kennet, but his ferocious shot was tipped over the bar.

Rifat then missed the game’s golden chance, as he received a low cross from the right wing with only the keeper to beat, but hit a poor shot straight at the gleeful Smith.

Controversy then followed just seconds later, when Fisher controlled the ball inside the area and bore down on Smith. He was taken out by the keeper but the referee did not award a penalty. However, Sammy Igoe scored a penalty at the other end within two minutes following a handball, giving Bognor the win with the only goal of the match.

Ahmet Rifat and Dan Thompson were dismissed for a late bout of handbags but no chances followed for the heartbroken blues.

Dan Nielsen said: “I felt we were excellent today and well worth 3 points so it is hard to understand how we ended up with none! I hate to blame things on referees but it is difficult not to comment on a series of poor decisions including not giving one of the most blatent penalties I have ever seen for their keeper’s foul on Fish. If the boys can give that level of effort, hard work and belief as well as play with the confidence they showed today in our remaining games, then i’m confident we will get the points we need.”

Wingate & Finchley Line-up:
Smith, Aisien, Wright, McGonigle (McCall 73), Weatherstone, Street, Kennet (Bolle 85), Tejan-Sie, Rifat, Sogbanmu, Fisher. Subs: Sharpe, Cain Davies, Read.

G Parsons



read more: