The teenage leader of a neo-Nazi cell has become one of Britain’s youngest convicted terrorists.
The boy, from Cornwall, was aged just 13 when he began gathering terrorist material and went on to share far right extremist ideology in online chatrooms at the age of 14.
On Monday, he appeared before the Old Bailey to be sentenced, having admitted twelve offences – two of dissemination of terrorist documents and 10 of possession of terrorist material.
The court heard that between October 2018 and July 2019, the youth collected a significant amount of far right material and manuals and was active on online platforms, expressing racist, homophobic and antisemitic views.
He talked about “gassing” Jewish people, hanging gay people and wanting to “shoot up their parades”, the court heard.
In the summer of 2019, he became the British cell leader of the FKD – Feuerkrieg Division – a neo-Nazi group that idolises the likes of Anders Breivik, the court heard.
The court heard the banned network favoured actions over words and encouraged individuals to commit “lone wolf” attacks.
The defendant liaised with FKD’s 13-year-old “commander” in Estonia and was responsible for vetting and recruiting members and propaganda, it was claimed.
One of his five recruits was teenager Paul Dunleavy, who was convicted of terrorism offences relating to his activities as a member of FKD in 2019 and with whom he discussed the acquisition of firearms, the court was told.
The defendant also allegedly commissioned a “Nuke London” poster which bore an image of an atom bomb cloud explosion over the Houses of Parliament with the slogan “Sterilise the cesspit that you call London”.
Police raided the defendant’s home on July 23 2019 as a result of information which suggested that he had been trying to construct a weapon.
No weapons were found but his mobile phone and computer were seized.
During the search, officers found a Nazi flag and a copy of a neo-Nazi text depicting post-apocalyptic sadistic violence.
The number “1488” – a well-known Nazi symbol – was also painted on to the garden shed.
In a police interview, the defendant, now aged 16, denied having had any racist, homophobic or anti-Semitic views, and said his comments and posts were just “to look cool”.
He claimed that he had been considering leaving FKD for about a month.
Prosecutor Naomi Parsons said: “The Crown do not accept he was planning to leave the group.
“The age is the alarming factor and his conduct betrays a maturity beyond his chronological age.”
The defendant, who is on bail, attended the Old Bailey remotely from Plymouth.
In mitigation, Deni Matthews spoke of his troubled upbringing without a positive parental role model in his life.
The lawyer said: “A damaged young man sought approval by expressing views he certainly does not ascribe to now and was unlikely to have ascribed to genuinely at the time.”
Judge Mark Dennis QC indicated that he would sentence the youth next Monday.
Thank you for helping to make Jewish News the leading source of news and opinion for the UK Jewish community. Today we're asking for your invaluable help to continue putting our community first in everything we do.
Unlike other Jewish media, we do not charge for content. That won’t change. Because we are free, we rely on advertising to cover our costs. This vital lifeline, which has dropped in recent years, has fallen further due to coronavirus.
For as little as £5 a month you can help sustain the vital work we do in celebrating and standing up for Jewish life in Britain.
Jewish News holds our community together and keeps us connected. Like a synagogue, it’s where people turn to feel part of something bigger. It also proudly shows the rest of Britain the vibrancy and rich culture of modern Jewish life.
You can make a quick and easy one-off or monthly contribution of £5, £10, £20 or any other sum you’re comfortable with.
100% of your donation will help us continue celebrating our community, in all its dynamic diversity...
Being a community platform means so much more than producing a newspaper and website. One of our proudest roles is media partnering with our invaluable charities to amplify the outstanding work they do to help us all.
There’s no shortage of oys in the world but Jewish News takes every opportunity to celebrate the joys too, through projects like Night of Heroes, 40 Under 40 and other compelling countdowns that make the community kvell with pride.
In the first collaboration between media outlets from different faiths, Jewish News worked with British Muslim TV and Church Times to produce a list of young activists leading the way on interfaith understanding.
Royal Mail issued a stamp honouring Holocaust hero Sir Nicholas Winton after a Jewish News campaign attracted more than 100,000 backers. Jewish News also produces special editions of the paper highlighting pressing issues including mental health and Holocaust remembrance.
In an age when news is readily accessible, Jewish News provides high-quality content free online and offline, removing any financial barriers to connecting people.
Voice of our community to wider society
The Jewish News team regularly appears on TV, radio and on the pages of the national press to comment on stories about the Jewish community. Easy access to the paper on the streets of London also means Jewish News provides an invaluable window into the community for the country at large.
We hope you agree all this is worth preserving.