Sir Philip Green has paid £363 million to settle the pension schemes of collapsed retailer BHS.
The Jewish billionaire tycoon said the amount, significantly less than the £571 million deficit the firm was left with when it went bust in April last year, represents a “significantly better” outcome than the schemes entering the Pension Protection Fund (PPF).
The collapse of the high-street giant left thousands out of work and the deficit in its pension scheme affected approximately 22,000 holders.
News of the settlement comes after Sir Philip was grilled by MPs over the sale of the chain, which he owned for 15 years before selling it for £1 to former bankrupt Dominic Chappell.
Sir Philip said: “I have today made a voluntary contribution of up to £363 million to enable the trustees of the BHS pension schemes to achieve a significantly better outcome than the schemes entering the Pension Protection Fund, which was the goal from the outset.
“The settlement follows lengthy, complex discussions with the Pensions Regulator and the PPF, both of which are satisfied with the solution that has been offered.
“To achieve a significantly better outcome than entering the PPF, the contribution required to achieve this long-term solution was arrived at by the actuaries for both The Regulator and the Trustees.”
The fallout from the chain’s collapse, which impacted 11,000 jobs, sparked a lengthy parliamentary inquiry and left its high-profile former owners potentially facing a criminal investigation.
MPs also called for the Topshop billionaire to be stripped of his knighthood.
But Sir Philip said Tuesday’s settlement brings “this matter to a conclusion” and apologised to the affected pensioners.
He added: “All relevant notices, including legal matters and claims from the Pensions Regulator, have been withdrawn, bringing this matter to a conclusion.
“Once again I would like to apologise to the BHS pensioners for this last year of uncertainty, which was clearly never the intention when the business was sold in March 2015.
“I am also happy to confirm that any of the pensioners that have faced cuts over the last year will now be brought back to their original BHS starting level pension and will all be made whole.
“I hope that this solution puts their minds at rest and closes this sorry chapter for them.”
Sir Philip made the voluntary personal cash payment of £343 million to enable the Trustees to make offers of improved benefits to all members of the BHS schemes, and he has also made available an additional £20 million towards the costs of implementation.
The settlement will allow all pensioners the option to receive pensions at the full starting level that they were promised by the BHS schemes. Current pensioners who have received lower pension benefits since March 2016, because of the PPF level of compensation being paid, will have the opportunity to receive lump sums to make those underpaid benefits whole.
Alan Rubenstein, chief executive of the PPF, said: “This settlement… relieves the PPF’s levy payers of the cost of meeting the initially reported shortfall.
“The Pensions Regulator will be monitoring the new scheme and members will be protected by the Pension Protection Fund.”
Thank you for helping to make Jewish News the leading source of news and opinion for the UK Jewish community. Today we're asking for your invaluable help to continue putting our community first in everything we do.
Unlike other Jewish media, we do not charge for content. That won’t change. Because we are free, we rely on advertising to cover our costs. This vital lifeline, which has dropped in recent years, has fallen further due to coronavirus.
For as little as £5 a month you can help sustain the vital work we do in celebrating and standing up for Jewish life in Britain.
Jewish News holds our community together and keeps us connected. Like a synagogue, it’s where people turn to feel part of something bigger. It also proudly shows the rest of Britain the vibrancy and rich culture of modern Jewish life.
You can make a quick and easy one-off or monthly contribution of £5, £10, £20 or any other sum you’re comfortable with.
100% of your donation will help us continue celebrating our community, in all its dynamic diversity...
Being a community platform means so much more than producing a newspaper and website. One of our proudest roles is media partnering with our invaluable charities to amplify the outstanding work they do to help us all.
There’s no shortage of oys in the world but Jewish News takes every opportunity to celebrate the joys too, through projects like Night of Heroes, 40 Under 40 and other compelling countdowns that make the community kvell with pride.
In the first collaboration between media outlets from different faiths, Jewish News worked with British Muslim TV and Church Times to produce a list of young activists leading the way on interfaith understanding.
Royal Mail issued a stamp honouring Holocaust hero Sir Nicholas Winton after a Jewish News campaign attracted more than 100,000 backers. Jewish Newsalso produces special editions of the paper highlighting pressing issues including mental health and Holocaust remembrance.
In an age when news is readily accessible, Jewish News provides high-quality content free online and offline, removing any financial barriers to connecting people.
Voice of our community to wider society
The Jewish News team regularly appears on TV, radio and on the pages of the national press to comment on stories about the Jewish community. Easy access to the paper on the streets of London also means Jewish News provides an invaluable window into the community for the country at large.
We hope you agree all this is worth preserving.