Redbridge made to work for cup win

Redbridge made to work for cup win

An extra-time winner from Russell Goldstein saw Redbridge A book their place in the last eight of the cup.

Andrew Sherwood is the Jewish News Sport and Community Editor

Danny Berg fired Redbridge ahead from the penalty spot
Danny Berg fired Redbridge ahead from the penalty spot

The joint Premier Division leaders were given a scare against lower league opposition before finally coming through the tie after extra time.

Cyril Anekstein Cup Third Round:
Redbridge Jewish Care A 4 Oakwood B 3 (AET)
Sunday, 13 November, 2016

Redbridge experienced a game which manager Jon Jacobs described as being a wake-up call for his side. Missing a few regulars, but essentially still playing a string 11, this morning’s game proved to be their toughest this season – including the one against Oakwood A.

Playing a very organised and physical game, while playing on the counter-attack to great effect, they took the lead with a neat finish and were good value for their lead after 20 minutes. However, they were pegged back just before half-time when Garfinkle mesmerised the Oakwood defender into conceding a soft penalty, which was easily converted by captain, Danny Berg. Level at the break, they tie was proving to be too tough to call.

Following a break, the ball fell kindly for Dean Nyman to nod home and put Redbridge into the lead, but Oakwood didn’t let this setback worry them and pushed forward for the equaliser – which came from a ball out wide that was finished really well into the bottom corner.

Redbridge then took control of the possession and Oakwood conceded a free-kick just outside the area with about 10 minutes left. This was buried into the middle of the goal by Ben Sollosi but still, Oakwood weren’t finished and with about five minutes left, equalised with a bullet header from a delicious cross from the right wing.

With extra-time now beckoning, it was time to shuffle the pack again, fully utilising the roll on roll off rule. Dean Nyman came off and Russell Goldstein was pushed up front. The move paid instant dividends with a clever finish by Goldstein, rounding the defender and the keeper before finishing from a tight angle. That seemed to be it from Oakwood and although they huffed and puffed, they didn’t really threaten again.

Jacobs said: “A 4-3 win in a cup tie full of commitment and played in the right spirit and refereed superbly by Neal Cohen, playing advantage when needed and stamping down on any foul play. Breathing a huge sigh of relief, we will take that and move on to the last eight.

read more: