Chanukah isn’t only about latkes and donuts. Denise Phillips showS you how to be a little bit more adventurous in the festive kitchen! Here, she makes some Chanukah-themed biscuits!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes. Cooking Time: 8- 10 mins
- 100g unsalted butter or margerine
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 100g Brazil nuts – ground in a food processor
- 200g plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- Topping: Coloured icing, hundreds and thousands
- In a food processor, cream together butter or margarine
and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the egg, orange zest, and ground Brazil nuts.
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Add to the creamed mixture.
- Mix well. Stir in almond essence.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/Gas mark 4.
- Roll out dough 2cm thick on a lightly floured board.
- Cut into dreidel or other desired shapes.
- Bake on a tray lined with non-stick baking parchment for 15 minutes.
- When cool, pipe a selection of Hebrew letters.