The trend towards Mexican food is still very much in fashion and I love to create my own version of its classic dishes.
Homemade tortillas are not so difficult to make: add a pinch of paprika, chilli flakes or black pepper for a slightly more authentic taste. I like to serve this with a sprouting broccoli and cherry tomato salad.
- For the tortilla, mix the flour, salt and paprika in a bowl and slowly whisk in 175ml warm water and oil. Use either a mixer with dough hook or by hand and knead until a dough has formed.
- Portion the dough into 16 small balls – about 30g each, leave to rest in a bowl coated with oil and then cover with cling film. Leave for 30 minutes to one hour.
- Roll the dough into circles about 15cm wide and rest on a floured work surface.
- Cook each tortilla in a pan coated with a little oil for about two minutes each side or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Transfer to a plate lined with baking parchment and stack in layers.
- For the tahini dressing, mix all the ingredients together and season. Set aside.
- For the salad, blanch the broccoli in boiling salted water for two to three minutes, then pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Mix the broccoli with the tomatoes, radishes, mint leaves, sumac and lemon juice. Season.
- Brush the tuna with olive oil, salt and pepper, then roll into white and black sesame seeds so they stick to the tuna.
- Heat a little oil in a hot frying pan and cook for 30 seconds on the four sides until seared all over. Cut into slices using a sharp knife.
- To assemble, lay the tortillas on a board or plate, add the salad and slices of tuna and a dollop of dressing. Drizzle over some sumac and sesame oil just before serving.
- 300g fresh tuna loin
- Olive oil
- Black and white sesame seeds
- Sesame oil – to serve
- 300g self-raising flour – plus extra for dusting
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch paprika
- Approx 175ml warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus extra for cooking
150g natural yoghurt
3 heaped tablespoons tahini
1 lemon – juice only
2 tablespoons chopped mint
1 small garlic clove – peeled and crushed
200g sprouting broccoli
120g cherry tomatoes –
halved – yellow, orange and red
50g radishes – sliced
½ teaspoon sumac
Juice of 1/2 lemon
30 Mins plus 1 hour resting time