I love the winter vegetable combination and hazelnut crumble topping. Ideal for a Sunday / midweek supper when you want tasty comfort food.
Can be made to suit vegans with the parev options.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 1 hour
Serves: 4 people
4 large beetroots – about 600g
4 parsnips – peeled and cut into batons
2 tablespoons vegetable oil- for frying
2 onions – peeled and sliced
4 cm root ginger – peeled and finely chopped
100ml double cream/ soya cream
200ml vegetable stock
2 x 400g tin chick peas – drained and rinsed
Large bunch fresh parsley – roughly chopped
150g plain flour
50g porridge oats
75g butter/ margarine
50g toasted hazelnuts
Salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
Garnish: Sprigs of fresh parsley
- Pre heat the oven to: 190°C/ 375°F/Gas mark 5.
- Place the beetroot on a baking tray. Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes or until tender.
- Cool before removing the skin and then, using gloves cut into cubes. Set aside.
- Parboil the parsnips in salted boiling water for 4 minutes, then drain.
- To make the crumble, combine all the ingredients except the hazelnuts in the food processor. Remove and stir in the hazelnuts and season well.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the onions, ginger, parsnips and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and stock and cook for a further 3 minutes until slightly thickened. Stir in the chick peas and beetroot.
- Transfer to a medium sized ovenware dish.
- Top with the crumble and sprinkle over the chopped parsley.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 400°F/ Gas mark 6.
- Cook for 25 minutes or until cooked through and piping hot.
To serve the stylish way: Sprinkle with sprigs of parsley and a dusting of freshly ground black pepper.
Next cookery class: Thurs 25 Jan – How to make the perfect Roast Beef Dinner
Call 01923 836 456 www.jewishcookery.com