This is a perfect summer picnic snack, free from wheat and dairy – but not taste – and also vegetarian. You can enjoy it with hummus, your favourite dip or just by itself.
- 100g whole almonds – toasted
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 50g sunflower seeds
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 50g sesame seeds
- 50g linseed
- 4 carrots – approx. 250g, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste /
- tomato purée / olive paste
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 eggs
Salt and freshly-ground pepper – to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 400°F/ Gas mark 6.
- Place the toasted almonds in the food processor and pulse so that they are coarsely chopped.
- Add the cumin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and linseed
- Remove and stir in the grated carrot, tomato paste, water, oil and eggs
- Season to taste
- Line a baking tray 20cm x 30cm with parchment paper.
- Spread the mixture so that it is ½ cm thick, score into rectangles and scatter over the cumin seeds.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and firm.
- Cut into biscuit-sized pieces, turn them over and bake for a further 5 minutes to crisp up.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Topping: 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
Serves: 24 people
Preparation time: 20 Mins + Plus 20 mins to salt
Cooking time: 20 mins