This cake is the answer to a cheese cake without the richness. The cheese mixture bake with sponge studs the cake with creamy pockets of deliciousness – lovely for afternoon tea in the garden.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C fan/Gas mark 4.
- Grease and line the base and sides of a deep 23cm loose based cake tin.
- Mix the ingredients of the cheese cake blobs in a bowl until just combined – be careful not to over mix or it will become runny. Set aside..
- Whisk together the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, ground almonds, yoghurt, vanilla extract and salt until smooth
- Combine the strawberry jam and chopped strawberries together.
- Scrape half the cake mixture into the prepared cake tin, then cover with all strawberry mixture.
- Use the back of a teaspoon to create dips in the surface of the cake and dollop spoonfuls of cheese cake blobs on top of the mixture.
- Cover with the remaining cake mixture, being careful not to disturb the cheese cake and strawberry mixture below.
- Sprinkle over with toasted almonds and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes in the tin before turning out.To serve the stylish way: Garnish with sprigs of mint and wedges of lemon.
For the sponge
- 175g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 100g self-raising flour
- 75g full fat natural yoghurt
- 200g ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 150g strawberries – hulled and roughly chopped
- 100g strawberry jam
For the cheese cake blobs
- 200g medium fat cream cheese
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 egg white
- Preparation time
- 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour – Serves 8-10
Listen to the Jewish Views Podcast: