I was excited to discover a new cut of meat – boneless, skinless turkey thigh at my butcher – and decided to make this recipe with it. You could, of course, use chicken pieces if you prefer. I have lightly dusted the meat in a sesame herb spice mix and then slow roasted it for two hours to tenderise. Prepare up to two days in advance ready for the oven.
- Dust the meat in the spice mix.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Brown the turkey on both sides just to seal the spices and colour the flesh. Add the onions and cook for three minutes.
- Transfer to an ovenware dish.
- Add the stock and wine/apple juice so the meat is covered.
- Stir in the garlic, olives and lemon juice.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas mark 3.
- Roast covered for two hours.
- Remove from the oven. Place the meat on a carving board, cover with foil and leave to rest for 15 minutes
- Slice the meat and return to the ovenware dish. Keep warm in the oven/ hot plate until ready to serve.
- Spice mix: 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, 2 tablespoons dried oregano, 1 tablespoon dried thyme, 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1.2kg skinless, boneless turkey thigh
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red onions – peeled and cut into crescents
- 500ml chicken stock
- 150ml white wine/apple juice
- 2 garlic cloves – peeled and finely chopped
- 150g pitted black olives – reserve 1-2 tbsp for garnish
- Juice of 1 lemon
Garnish: Sprigs of fresh thyme, lemon slices and a handful
of black olives
Preparation time: 20 Mins plus 15 mins to rest. Cooking time: 2 hours. Makes: Serves 4-6