A 16-year-old Palestinian boy has been killed in a clash between the Israeli military and stone-throwers in a West Bank village, officials said.
The Palestinian health ministry identified the teenager as Laith Abu Naim, and said he was killed by a shot to the head.
The Israeli military denied using live ammo amid a “riot” during which dozens of Palestinians rolled burning tyres and hurled rocks at troops.
Mayor Faraj al-Nasan said an Israeli military patrol entered the village of Mughayer and that local teenagers started throwing stones. Mr Al-Nasan said the soldiers were in military vehicles and there was no threat to their lives when one of them opened fire.
The military said troops responded with “riot dispersal means”, which usually refers to tear gas and stun grenades. The military said it was aware of the death, and it is investigating.
If confirmed, this means a total of 18 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire in confrontations since US president Donald Trump’s recognition of contested Jerusalem as Israel’s capital on December 6 last year.
An Israeli man was killed in a Palestinian shooting attack earlier this month.