Olim League week 8 review

Olim League week 8 review


Jaffa won a seven-goal thriller in one of four games played in the latest round of Olim League action…

Jaffa 4 Ashdod 3
Jaffa had control from minute one and within twenty minutes were two ahead from two well-worked moves that lead to goals from Daniel Berkeley and Rotem Elkalay.

Towards the end of the first half Ashdod got there fisrt real chances – and they pounced on them. Two goals from two set-pieces – from Almog Kaminsky and Aviv Bikhar ensuring the sides went in level at the break.

The second half started with a great tempo and both teams were pushing forward. It was Jaffa who went in front again through another Daniel Berkeley goal from just out side the box, but just as it looked that Jaffa were finally cruising, another defensive mix-up saw Jeffrey Rudowicz pounce to make it 3-3.

The last 15 minutes were all about Jaffa pushing forward and eventually a wonderful Nir Hacohen run and cross found the ever hungry Rani Madmon who netted the dramatic winner. Jaffa now look to the TA derby to try and finally get two wins in row.

Real Athletico Jerusalem 4 Raanana 6
Raanana continued their fine run of form with a convincing victory over Real in Jerusalem on Saturday night. The margin of victory does not really giving a true reflection of Ra’anana’s superiority, however, with Real clawing their way back into the game at crucial points were Raanana were made to work hard for the three points.

Raanana started off quickly and took the lead after just four minutes. A fine run from midfield created space with the ball played to Aviad Ben Meir on the edge of the box. He beat his man before unleashing an unstoppable shot from the edge of the box hat flew into the top left hand corner.

Just as it seemed Raanana may pull away, Real brought themselves back into the game out of nowhere. Content to play the long ball and use their large height advantage, a long kick from the goaly was met by a flick on by the striker. The ball was pulled back from the byline and dispatched beyond the despairing dive of Sapir Marom who had no chance.

Raanana refused to be rattled and created chance after chance twice hitting the post. In particular a fine move ended with Zeev Landsman crossing the ball in which was met by Haim Elimelech who hit a fabulous first time volley that was acrobatically turned away by the keeper. Eventually the pressure told and Aviad was the first to react after the goalkeeper could only parry a shot from Haim Elimelech to make it 2-1.

Raanana however had not learnt from earlier in the game. After 40 minutes a failure to clear the ball resulted in the ball dropping to Jacky Duek on the edge of the box. He hit a fine drive into the bottom corner bringing the scored level which stayed the same till half-time. Real would have been much the happier at half time.

Five minutes into the second half, Raanana won a free-kick 30 yards from goal after a crude tackle from behind which surprisingly did not bring a card from the referee who failed to get to grips with the game at any point. Nafatli Kanichowsky hit a ferocious drive that was pushed onto the bar. Aviad was first to react somehow having the time to take a touch and juggle with the ball before smashing it home. Soon after Raanana were denied a stone wall penalty as the striker was taken out by the defender when through on goal.

The score quickly increased to 4-2 as Aviad was the beneficiary of a fine move which saw the ball pulled back to him for a simple tap in. Soon after his striker partner Gabi Kanichowsky got on the score sheet after a superb piece of closing down enabled him to go through on goal and he supplied an assured finish. At this stage it appeared like Rannana would run away with the game. A superb ball through saw Aviad through on goal only to be pulled back incorrectly for offisde.

Against the run of play Real pulled a goal back as sloppy play in midfield saw Raanana lose the ball. Tomer Amos placed the ball into the corner from outside the area. Suddenly Raanana looke a little nervouse and another goal for the hosts at this stage would have made for a nervy end with 25 minutes still to play.

However, Aviad then added another goal with ten minutes remaining with a composed finish on the half volley from a tight angle to make it 6-3. He was then denied his sixth of the game after he had beautifully lobbed the goally when the referee pulled the game back for a foul much to the disbelief of all watching.

Real completed the scoring with an excellent header from a free-kick by Meni Dueck with the last kick of the game.

Raanana co-manager Avi Wesienberg said after the game:  “We told the boys at half time to keep the ball on the floor. They executed perfectly and we came out on top. We are delighted to have come away from the last two weeks where we have played two hard games away in Jerusalem with a win and a draw. It sets us up nicely for the rest of the season.”

Two goals each from Zack Lewis and Moishe Lewis saw Jerusalem to a 4-2 win over Modi’in, for whom Benni Sragov and Matan Kroizer were on target.

Inter and England FC drew 1-1, Emanuel Scholtz and Nicky Plotneck scoring for their respective sides.

read more: