JCoSS cancels after-school activities following spate of attacks
search

JCoSS cancels after-school activities following spate of attacks

Security in the local area has been increased, including police presence and patrols by members of staff and Community Security Trust advisers

Stock photo of children outside JCoSS
Stock photo of children outside JCoSS

Parents at a Jewish school in North London have been urged to remain vigilant after a spate of attacks in Barnet’s Victoria Park.

A number of students returning home from JCoSS, a school named Greater London’s top state secondary by the Sunday Times, were reportedly targeted in the area in recent weeks, including an alleged attempted robbery at knife-point.

A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police confirmed on Wednesday that officers were called to reports of an attempted robbery on Park Road last Thursday.

It is alleged a 15-year-old boy was approached by two suspects and threatened with a knife, the spokesperson confirmed. There were no reported injuries, and the victim was allowed to leave with his possessions.

No arrests have been made by the time of writing.

In one of several emails to parents over recent weeks, the school’s acting head of Year 11 said the homework club and late detention sessions are to be cancelled.

“In addition, due to the recent crime in the park we feel that students should leave school together at normal time, with Year 11 acting as role models for the younger students who may be more intimidated,” she wrote.

In a statement, Moriarty said security in the local area had been increased, including police presence and patrols by members of staff and Community Security Trust (CST) advisers

Moriarty added: “Routine advice to students to avoid the park has been strongly reiterated, together with advice to walk in groups and with an air of purpose, keeping phones out of sight.

“A local bus passes the school, and security has been increased at the stop with the recommendation that it is the safest mode of travel.  All incidents have been reported to police and to CST, and the school is in close and regular contact with both.  One arrest has been made so far.

“The security of students is our top priority and we share the concerns of parents and the wider community at these events.  Students should be able to walk home without fear of criminal activity, and we will continue to work with police and other agencies to bring those responsible to justice and protect our students from harm.”

  • Anyone with information is asked to call 101 with the crime reference number 4893/5Dec.
read more:
comments