A former judo world champion from Iran is afraid to return home after disobeying orders from the government to withdraw from the world championships in Tokyo to avoid a potential bout against an Israeli opponent.
The International Judo Federation saidJudoid Mollaei was ordered to withdraw from last week’s competition by Iranian deputy sports minister Davar Zani.
The IJF said Mollaei was then called by Iranian Olympic Committee president Reza Salehi Amiri, who said security services were at his parents’ house.
Mollaei was the defending champion and could have faced Israeli athlete Sagi Muki in the final.
They were the two top-ranked athletes in their class prior to the world championships.
Mollaei said he was ordered to withdraw ahead of a preliminary bout against a Russian so it did not appear to be a boycott of Israel.
Mollaei kept competing but eventually lost in the semi-finals and did not have to face Muki, who won gold and later called Mollaei “an inspiration”.
“I want to compete wherever I can,” Mollaei said in a statement from the IJF.
“I live in a country whose law does not permit me to.
“We have no choice, all athletes must comply with it. All I did today was for my life, for a new life.
“I need help. Even if the authorities of my country told me that I can go back without any problems, I am afraid.”
The IJF said it would help Mollaei prepare for next year’s Olympics, also in Tokyo.
If Iran refuses to enter him, one option could be the International Olympic Committee-backed team of refugee athletes.
Iranian sports teams have for several decades had a policy of not competing against Israelis, which the country does not recognise.
The IJF has said Iranians have thrown matches and used “questionable injuries” to avoid competing against Israelis.
Mollaei’s case comes four months after judo officials hailed a breakthrough in relations with Iran, publishing a letter signed by Salehi Amiri pledging to “fully respect the Olympic charter and its non-discrimination principle”.
On Saturday, Iranian sports minister Masoud Soltanifar accused the IJF of trying to “create problems” with Mollaei, the Irna news agency reported.
He said Iran will send a protest letter to the IOC.
Iranian team manager Majid Zareian also criticised the IJF, saying “everything was set in advance to put Mollaei against a participant from (Israel)”.
“They did not allow me to be present next to my athlete in the exercise salon,” Mr Zareian said.
“After the competitions they changed hotel of Mollaei without my permission, against the regulations.”
He denied reports Iranian authorities had put pressure on Mollaei.
Thank you for helping to make Jewish News the leading source of news and opinion for the UK Jewish community. Today we're asking for your invaluable help to continue putting our community first in everything we do.
Unlike other Jewish media, we do not charge for content. That won’t change. Because we are free, we rely on advertising to cover our costs. This vital lifeline, which has dropped in recent years, has fallen further due to coronavirus.
For as little as £5 a month you can help sustain the vital work we do in celebrating and standing up for Jewish life in Britain.
Jewish News holds our community together and keeps us connected. Like a synagogue, it’s where people turn to feel part of something bigger. It also proudly shows the rest of Britain the vibrancy and rich culture of modern Jewish life.
You can make a quick and easy one-off or monthly contribution of £5, £10, £20 or any other sum you’re comfortable with.
100% of your donation will help us continue celebrating our community, in all its dynamic diversity...
Being a community platform means so much more than producing a newspaper and website. One of our proudest roles is media partnering with our invaluable charities to amplify the outstanding work they do to help us all.
There’s no shortage of oys in the world but Jewish News takes every opportunity to celebrate the joys too, through projects like Night of Heroes, 40 Under 40 and other compelling countdowns that make the community kvell with pride.
In the first collaboration between media outlets from different faiths, Jewish News worked with British Muslim TV and Church Times to produce a list of young activists leading the way on interfaith understanding.
Royal Mail issued a stamp honouring Holocaust hero Sir Nicholas Winton after a Jewish News campaign attracted more than 100,000 backers. Jewish News also produces special editions of the paper highlighting pressing issues including mental health and Holocaust remembrance.
In an age when news is readily accessible, Jewish News provides high-quality content free online and offline, removing any financial barriers to connecting people.
Voice of our community to wider society
The Jewish News team regularly appears on TV, radio and on the pages of the national press to comment on stories about the Jewish community. Easy access to the paper on the streets of London also means Jewish News provides an invaluable window into the community for the country at large.
We hope you agree all this is worth preserving.