The Israeli military exposed and prepared for destruction a second tunnel that starts in Lebanon and stretches into Israel.
The Israel Defence Forces last week launched Operation Northern Shield, to identify and destroy the tunnels constructed in recent years by Hezbollah.
The discovery of the second tunnel was announced by the IDF on Saturday night. It reportedly was recently excavated.
“The route of the tunnel is controlled by the IDF and does not constitute a threat to the residents of Israel,” IDF Spokesperson Brig.-Gen. Ronen Manelis said. “Our forces continued to operate in the area during the weekend under stormy weather and continue to act according to the plan that was approved for further detection and exposing the terrorist tunnels.”
A third tunnel reportedly has been identified but not yet exposed and prepared for destruction.
Also on Saturday, the IDF identified what it called three apparent Hezbollah operatives approaching the area where work was underway to identify a tunnel in an attempt to steal technology. Israeli soldiers shot at the three men who fled back over the border between Israel and Lebanon.
“IDF soldiers are working methodically and decisively around the clock, even in inclement weather, to expose and neutralise tunnel after tunnel,” Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday. “We need patience, but with the same perseverance we will continue the operation until its conclusion – until the tunnel threat in the north is neutralised.”
Meanwhile, UNIFIL – the United Nations Interim Force In Lebanon – on Thursday confirmed the existence of the first exposed tunnel between Lebanon and Israel and said in a statement that it “now engaged with the parties to pursue urgent follow-up action. It is very important to determine the full picture of this serious occurrence.”
לפני זמן קצר איתרו כוחותינו מנהרת טרור התקפית נוספת שחצתה משטח לבנון לשטח ישראל. תוואי המנהרה נמצא בשליטת צה"ל ואינו מהווה איום מידי על תושבי ישראל. כוחותינו המשיכו לפעול באזור במהלך סוף השבוע תחת מזג אוויר סוער וימשיכו לפעול על פי התוכנית שאושרה להמשך איתור וחשיפת מנהרות הטרור pic.twitter.com/UHoErqqVSj
— צבא ההגנה לישראל (@idfonline) December 8, 2018
While life in Israel has returned to normal and hopes are high that Britain is set for a summer without restrictions thanks to vaccines, for billions around the world there is no such imminent light at the end of the tunnel. In the majority of countries around the globe, particularly the poorest, the vaccine rollout has barely kicked off.
That's why Jewish News, the leading source of news and opinion for the entire UK community, is throwing its full weight behind UNICEF’s VaccinAid campaign by using this platform usually reserved for encouraging donations towards our own journalism to instead urge our readers around the globe to perform the greatest mitzvah: saving a life.
We have never before done this for any charity fundraiser but it's hard to recall a campaign that affects so many people, and indeed an entire planet aching for a return to normality. Just like the Chief Rabbi and Rachel Riley, we hope to boost the mission to deliver two billion vaccines, 165 million treatments and 900 million test kits around the world by the end of this year.
Please donate as much as you can, in the spirit of the Talmudic sages: “to save one life is to save the world entire”