Husband of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe asks community to back bid to free his wife
search

The latest Jewish News

Read this week’s digital edition

Click Here

Husband of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe asks community to back bid to free his wife

16 days into a life-threatening hunger strike, Richard Ratcliffe appealed for support saying Jewish communities were all too aware of 'hostage diplomacy'

Jenni Frazer is a freelance journalist

Claudia Winkleman and Victoria Coren Mitchell as they meet and talk to Richard Ratcliffe, the husband of Iranian detainee Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, outside the Foreign Office in London, during his continued hunger strike following his wife losing her latest appeal in Iran.
Claudia Winkleman and Victoria Coren Mitchell as they meet and talk to Richard Ratcliffe, the husband of Iranian detainee Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, outside the Foreign Office in London, during his continued hunger strike following his wife losing her latest appeal in Iran.

The husband of Iranian hostage Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe has asked the Jewish community to lend its backing to the campaign to free his wife.

On Monday, Richard Ratcliffe was 16 days into a life-threatening hunger strike in central London. He told Jewish News that he believed Anglo-Jewry was only too aware of what he called “hostage diplomacy” and the way that some states used “ordinary people” in that regard. “Other states are watching and copying this behaviour, and it is a threat to the world”, he said. He felt that the Jewish community “was alive to the behaviour of illiberal states and their danger”.

Three days previously— day 13 of his strike — Mr Ratcliffe was visibly suffering, sitting swathed in woollen hats, scarves and gloves, in a makeshift “camp” opposite the Foreign Office in Whitehall. Behind him were thin pop-up tents and blankets, little defence against the increasingly cold weather.

Richard Ratcliffe’s wife, Nazanin, 44, has served five years in an Iranian prison and may now face a further year behind bars in Teheran, though at present she is at her parents’ home in the Iranian capital. She was arrested at Teheran Airport in April 2016 and imprisoned in September of that year after being found guilty of “plotting to overthrow the Iranian government”, and spying, charges which she has consistently and vehemently denied.

Victoria Coren Mitchell and Claudia Winkleman arrive to meet Richard Ratcliffe, the husband of Iranian detainee Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, outside the Foreign Office in London, during his continued hunger strike following his wife losing her latest appeal in Iran. Picture date: Monday November 8, 2021.

Mr Ratcliffe and his family maintain that his wife is being held as ransom for £450 million, money owed by the British government to Iran over a cancelled arms deal when the Shah fell from power in 1979. Nazanin, who was working as a project manager for the Reuters news agency when she was first seized by the Iranian regime, has joint British and Iranian nationality. He has implored Britain to pay the money — if that is what it takes to free his wife.

This is Richard Ratcliffe’s second hunger strike — his first, undertaken in parallel with his wife, was held in 2019 outside London’s Iranian Embassy. The couple both ended that fast after 15 days, said to be the “make-or-break” time beyond which serious damage can be done to the hunger striker. Mr Ratcliffe’s sister Rebecca is a GP and is monitoring her brother’s vital signs, but it is clear even on a brief visit that he is getting progressively weaker. His speech is slow and soft, not helped by the whirr of helicopter blades above Whitehall as police and security forces prepared for a separate central London demonstration.

Mr Ratcliffe, whose seven-year-old daughter Gabriella, and other members of his family, including his mother, are usually on hand to support him, admitted that “the longer my fast goes on the more dangerous it gets. The textbook cut-off time is 15 days. At 25 days, it can be fatal”.

Richard Ratcliffe, the husband of Iranian detainee Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, outside the Foreign Office in London, on day 16 of his continued hunger strike following his wife losing her latest appeal in Iran.

But he is determined to do whatever he can to raise awareness of his wife’s plight, and has camped opposite the Foreign Office, together with hourly walks around the corner to Downing Street, to remind the government of the issue. He accused the government of “a kind of complacency” and of “not being willing to challenge Iran or say exactly what the problem is” in negotiating with the regime for Nazanin’s freedom.

Speaking to Jewish News, he said he had had a meeting with Foreign Secretary Liz Truss before starting his hunger strike on October 29, but declared the content “policy-light” and said the government had consistently failed to follow up its words with concrete actions.

He deplored the “relentless psychological abuse” exercised by Iran, in attempting to suggest that Nazanin would be freed and then “playing cat and mouse” by threatening her with renewed prison time.

“It is the constant messing with your head that is so terrible”, he said. “It is completely capricious behaviour, and you get your hopes up only to have them dashed”.

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe (Wikipedia/Author MrZeroPage/Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0))

Two of his high-profile supporters have been the TV presenters Claudia Winkleman and Victoria Coren Mitchell, both of whom are Jewish, and who have so far visited him twice.

As he spoke to the Jewish News, a constant stream of passers-by and well-wishers stopped to speak to him. People bring gifts: the blanket over his knees had come from one visitor, the thick scarf from another. Comedian Bill Bailey had turned up with a pair of gloves. Many of his visitors wanted to know if there was somewhere they could donate money — and there is, through REDRESS, whose lawyers are working on the Ratcliffes’ behalf.

Amnesty International, meanwhile, have designated Nazanin a Prisoner of Conscience, and calls for her release have been made by the European Parliament, the US Congress, the Canadian Parliament and the United Nations.

Support your Jewish community. Support your Jewish News

Thank you for helping to make Jewish News the leading source of news and opinion for the UK Jewish community. Today we're asking for your invaluable help to continue putting our community first in everything we do.

Unlike other Jewish media, we do not charge for content. That won’t change. Because we are free, we rely on advertising to cover our costs. This vital lifeline, which has dropped in recent years, has fallen further due to coronavirus.

For as little as £5 a month you can help sustain the vital work we do in celebrating and standing up for Jewish life in Britain.

Jewish News holds our community together and keeps us connected. Like a synagogue, it’s where people turn to feel part of something bigger. It also proudly shows the rest of Britain the vibrancy and rich culture of modern Jewish life.

You can make a quick and easy one-off or monthly contribution of £5, £10, £20 or any other sum you’re comfortable with.

100% of your donation will help us continue celebrating our community, in all its dynamic diversity...

Engaging

Being a community platform means so much more than producing a newspaper and website. One of our proudest roles is media partnering with our invaluable charities to amplify the outstanding work they do to help us all.

Celebrating

There’s no shortage of oys in the world but Jewish News takes every opportunity to celebrate the joys too, through projects like Night of Heroes, 40 Under 40 and other compelling countdowns that make the community kvell with pride.

Pioneering

In the first collaboration between media outlets from different faiths, Jewish News worked with British Muslim TV and Church Times to produce a list of young activists leading the way on interfaith understanding.

Campaigning

Royal Mail issued a stamp honouring Holocaust hero Sir Nicholas Winton after a Jewish News campaign attracted more than 100,000 backers. Jewish Newsalso produces special editions of the paper highlighting pressing issues including mental health and Holocaust remembrance.

Easy access

In an age when news is readily accessible, Jewish News provides high-quality content free online and offline, removing any financial barriers to connecting people.

Voice of our community to wider society

The Jewish News team regularly appears on TV, radio and on the pages of the national press to comment on stories about the Jewish community. Easy access to the paper on the streets of London also means Jewish News provides an invaluable window into the community for the country at large.

We hope you agree all this is worth preserving.

read more:
comments