Hundreds demonstrate as Netanyahu defends dealing with terrorism
search

The latest Jewish News

Read this week’s digital edition

Click Here

Hundreds demonstrate as Netanyahu defends dealing with terrorism

Jewish settlers and their supporters gathered outside the office of the Prime Minister protest over West Bank terror

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, December 4, 2018. Photo by: JINIPIX
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, December 4, 2018. Photo by: JINIPIX

Hundreds of Jewish settlers and their supporters demonstrated in front of the Prime Minister’s Office, protesting weakness in dealing with West Bank terrorism.

The protesters on Sunday morning during the weekly Cabinet meeting led by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also called for measures to strengthen the settlements, including legalising housing in Ofra, the site of a terror attack one week ago.

But inside the meeting, Netanyahu did not accept the protesters’ premise.

“Following the wave of murderous terrorist attacks in Judea and Samaria last week we have taken vigorous security and settlement actions,” he said at the start of the Cabinet meeting.

He noted that two of the terrorists in recent attacks were “located and eliminated” and a third turned himself in. He said that he ordered the acceleration of the demolition of terrorists’ homes and the revocation of work permits for the families of terrorists.

“I sent a clear message to Hamas: We will not accept a situation in which there is a ceasefire in Gaza and terrorism in Judea and Samaria. We will exact a heavy price for this,” Netanyahu said.

He also said that he has ordered that thousands of homes in West Bank settlements be legalised and approved 82 new homes and apartments for Ofra.

The demonstrators were joined by government ministers including Education Minister Naftali Bennett; Agriculture and Regional Development Minister Uri Ariel; Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked, all of the Jewish Home Party; and Tourism Minister Yariv Levin; and Science Minister Ofir Akunis, both of Netanyahu’s Likud Party; and Economy and Industry Minister Eli Cohen of the Kulanu Party, as well as several Knesset lawmakers.

Help perform the greatest mitzvah: save a life

While life in Israel has returned to normal and hopes are high that Britain is set for a summer without restrictions thanks to vaccines, for billions around the world there is no such imminent light at the end of the tunnel. In the majority of countries around the globe, particularly the poorest, the vaccine rollout has barely kicked off.

That's why Jewish News, the leading source of news and opinion for the entire UK community, is throwing its full weight behind UNICEF’s VaccinAid campaign by using this platform usually reserved for encouraging donations towards our own journalism to instead urge our readers around the globe to perform the greatest mitzvah: saving a life.

We have never before done this for any charity fundraiser but it's hard to recall a campaign that affects so many people, and indeed an entire planet aching for a return to normality. Just like the Chief Rabbi and Rachel Riley, we hope to boost the mission to deliver two billion vaccines, 165 million treatments and 900 million test kits around the world by the end of this year.

Please donate as much as you can, in the spirit of the Talmudic sages: “to save one life is to save the world entire”

read more:
comments