This frozen delight is perfect when you need a brisk perk-me-up. It combines two of my favourite flavours, coffee and chocolate, in one scoop. Although, to be honest, I can never stop at just one.
Makes about 1 quart (1.7 pints)
- 2 1⁄4 cups (560ml) very strongly brewed top-quality, coffee
- 3⁄4 cup (150g) sugar
- 6 tablespoons (50g) unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 3⁄4 cup (180ml) whole milk
1. Whisk together the coffee, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil and allow it to boil for 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in the milk.
2. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
PERFECT PAIRING: To make a Mocha Freeze, for each serving, put 2 scoops of Mocha Sherbet (4 ounces, 115g) in a blender along with ½ cup (125ml) very strongly brewed coffee or espresso, 1½ tablespoons sugar, and 3 ice cubes. Blend until almost smooth. Pour into a glass and top with Whipped Cream and shaved chocolate.
Food for thought
Just the tonic!
Award-winning Raisthorpe Manor has launched three new fruity gins to celebrate summer. Quirky and retro Bubble Gum combines strawberry, cherry and cinnamon flavours, while Lemon Drizzle is zipping with zesty goodness and Orange features a twist of aromatic peel. All three gins can be served over ice, either neat or mixed with premium tonic waters, lemonade, or for an extra special drink, a sparkling wine or prosecco. Available in 50 cl bottles, the new summer gins retail for £22 a bottle and are available from independent retailers.
Meat and greet
Chef and author Sharon Lurie, aka The Kosher Butcher’s Wife, will show off her skills at a cookery demonstration in Radlett on 11 September. Sharon, who lives in Johannesburg and is married to kosher butcher Ian, will be joined by Michelle Grossman of Silvermans. Signed copies of Sharon’s new book, A Taste of South Africa with the Kosher Butcher’s Wife, will be available on the night.
The Big Fromage
Organic dairy brand Yeo Valley has unveiled larger versions of their Little Yeos range of children’s yogurt. The new 340g Little Yeos Big Pots are now available in Tesco and Ocado and are available in strawberry flavour, made from real fruit puree and concentrated grape juice, and natural, which contains no added sugar.