German court says former Nazi guard at Majdanek, 97, won’t face trial
search

The latest Jewish News

Read this week’s digital edition

Click Here

German court says former Nazi guard at Majdanek, 97, won’t face trial

Frankfurt legal body said the pensioner, charged with being an accessory to murder, is too sick to face proceedings

Majdanek
Majdanek

A German court has said that a former guard at the Nazis’ Majdanek death camp who was charged with being an accessory to murder will not face trial.

The court argued that the 97-year-old is too sick to face proceedings.

The Frankfurt state court cited a comprehensive medical assessment of the suspect that was delayed repeatedly by spells in a hospital.

It said an expert determined that the man, who was charged in August 2017, would not be able to follow proceedings “in an appropriate way” and a trial would pose a “significant danger” to his life.

The suspect, whose name has not been released, was charged for allegedly serving at the camp in Nazi-occupied Poland between August 1943 and January 1944.

Prosecutors alleged that the man worked as a guard there as a member of the SS’s Death’s Head division.

In particular, he was accused of supporting Operation Erntefest, or Operation Harvest Festival, on November 3, 1943.

On that day, at least 17,000 Jewish prisoners from Majdanek and others who were being used as forced labourers in and around the city of Lublin were shot in ditches just outside the camp. Music blared from the Majdanek loudspeakers to mask the sound of the killings.

Prosecutors can appeal against the Frankfurt court’s ruling.

More than 70 years after the end of World War Two, German prosecutors continue to bring new cases against former Nazi war crimes suspects.

They have secured some notable convictions in recent years, but because of the suspects’ advanced ages, the task of getting them to trial and seeing the proceedings through is getting increasingly difficult.

Last week, the trial in Munster of Johann Rehbogen, a former SS guard at the Stutthof concentration camp, collapsed after the 94-year-old defendant was hospitalised for heart and kidney issues – causing several court hearings to be cancelled.

He will be examined in January to determine whether his condition has improved enough that the trial can be restarted from the beginning.

Help perform the greatest mitzvah: save a life

While life in Israel has returned to normal and hopes are high that Britain is set for a summer without restrictions thanks to vaccines, for billions around the world there is no such imminent light at the end of the tunnel. In the majority of countries around the globe, particularly the poorest, the vaccine rollout has barely kicked off.

That's why Jewish News, the leading source of news and opinion for the entire UK community, is throwing its full weight behind UNICEF’s VaccinAid campaign by using this platform usually reserved for encouraging donations towards our own journalism to instead urge our readers around the globe to perform the greatest mitzvah: saving a life.

We have never before done this for any charity fundraiser but it's hard to recall a campaign that affects so many people, and indeed an entire planet aching for a return to normality. Just like the Chief Rabbi and Rachel Riley, we hope to boost the mission to deliver two billion vaccines, 165 million treatments and 900 million test kits around the world by the end of this year.

Please donate as much as you can, in the spirit of the Talmudic sages: “to save one life is to save the world entire”

read more:
comments