Council worker who claimed ‘Zionists collaborated with Nazis’ wins back job
search

The latest Jewish News

Read this week’s digital edition

Click Here

Council worker who claimed ‘Zionists collaborated with Nazis’ wins back job

Appeal rules that Stan Keable was unfairly dismissed by Hammersmith and Fulham council over the claims which were filmed at pro-Corbyn rally.

Stan Keable was filmed making the remark at a pro-Corbyn demo organised by Jewish Voice for Labour (Image:Twitter)
Stan Keable was filmed making the remark at a pro-Corbyn demo organised by Jewish Voice for Labour (Image:Twitter)

A London council must reinstate a worker who was filmed claiming that the Zionist movement collaborated with the Nazis – and pay him roughly £70,000, an appeals tribunal has held.

Stan Keable, an employee of Hammersmith and Fulham Council, was filmed making the remarks in an exchange with a protester on the 2018 Enough is Enough demo against antisemitism in Labour.

The self-proclaimed anti-Zionist was on a counter-demo with Jewish Voice for Labour when he made the remarks, captured by a third party in a widely-viewed Twitter video.

After his comments were criticised by local MP Greg Hands and the leader of the council, town hall officials fired the public protection and safety officer, claiming misconduct.

But a tribunal ruled that he was unfairly dismissed, and ordered he be reinstated with compensation for lost earnings – which was upheld on Tuesday after an unsuccessful appeal from the council.

Ian Austin, the dismissing officer, told the tribunal that the council accepted that the remarks were intended to be a reference to the 1933 Haavara Agreement.

The town hall also said it accepted that Mr Keable made the comments in a personal capacity, and did not publish the remarks himself.

However, the dismissing officer said a “reasonable person” would “conclude that the Claimant had said that Zionists had colluded with the Nazis in the Holocaust.”

This was rejected by judge Katherine Tucker, who found there was no evidence this was the way the council worker’s comments had been interpreted.

She ruled: “If it was within the range of reasonable responses of a reasonable employer to dismiss an employee in circumstances where they have lawfully exercised their rights to freedom of expression and freedom of assembly, unconnected in any way to the workplace, without using language which was personally abusive, insulting or obscene, and when their views and opinions have, without their consent, been published and caused offence to some, or indeed many people, then there is a very great risk of dismissal to any person who expresses their lawful political views outside the workplace.”

The council must now reinstate the worker of seventeen years, and also pay him £724.04 gross per week in lost salary from the time of his dismissal to the time of his reinstatement.

Keable, who is secretary of Labour Against the Witch-hunt, told The Guardian newspaper: “I’m quite willing to accept that some people were offended but that’s not a crime or a sin – it’s a necessary part of free speech.”

A Hammersmith and Fulham Council spokesperson said it was considering its options over Keable’s reinstatement.

“As a public body we always expect the highest levels of conduct from our employees. We are therefore disappointed with the judgement.”

Support your Jewish community. Support your Jewish News

Thank you for helping to make Jewish News the leading source of news and opinion for the UK Jewish community. Today we're asking for your invaluable help to continue putting our community first in everything we do.

Unlike other Jewish media, we do not charge for content. That won’t change. Because we are free, we rely on advertising to cover our costs. This vital lifeline, which has dropped in recent years, has fallen further due to coronavirus.

For as little as £5 a month you can help sustain the vital work we do in celebrating and standing up for Jewish life in Britain.

Jewish News holds our community together and keeps us connected. Like a synagogue, it’s where people turn to feel part of something bigger. It also proudly shows the rest of Britain the vibrancy and rich culture of modern Jewish life.

You can make a quick and easy one-off or monthly contribution of £5, £10, £20 or any other sum you’re comfortable with.

100% of your donation will help us continue celebrating our community, in all its dynamic diversity...

Engaging

Being a community platform means so much more than producing a newspaper and website. One of our proudest roles is media partnering with our invaluable charities to amplify the outstanding work they do to help us all.

Celebrating

There’s no shortage of oys in the world but Jewish News takes every opportunity to celebrate the joys too, through projects like Night of Heroes, 40 Under 40 and other compelling countdowns that make the community kvell with pride.

Pioneering

In the first collaboration between media outlets from different faiths, Jewish News worked with British Muslim TV and Church Times to produce a list of young activists leading the way on interfaith understanding.

Campaigning

Royal Mail issued a stamp honouring Holocaust hero Sir Nicholas Winton after a Jewish News campaign attracted more than 100,000 backers. Jewish Newsalso produces special editions of the paper highlighting pressing issues including mental health and Holocaust remembrance.

Easy access

In an age when news is readily accessible, Jewish News provides high-quality content free online and offline, removing any financial barriers to connecting people.

Voice of our community to wider society

The Jewish News team regularly appears on TV, radio and on the pages of the national press to comment on stories about the Jewish community. Easy access to the paper on the streets of London also means Jewish News provides an invaluable window into the community for the country at large.

We hope you agree all this is worth preserving.

read more:
comments