Board of Deputies advised new election nomination form is ‘invalid and not fair’
search

The latest Jewish News

Read this week’s digital edition

Click Here

Board of Deputies advised new election nomination form is ‘invalid and not fair’

Leading QC tells representative body to revise its now-withdrawn document, as last-minute bid by ex-United Synagogue head submitted to run for president

Jenni Frazer is a freelance journalist

Four Board hopefuls: Simon Hochhauser, Marie van der Zyl, Sheila Gewolb and Edwin Shuker
Four Board hopefuls: Simon Hochhauser, Marie van der Zyl, Sheila Gewolb and Edwin Shuker

The Board of Deputies last night withdrew a nominations form for next month’s Board of Deputies elections after being advised by a leading QC it was “invalid and not fair”.

It came after Gillian Merron, the Board’s chief executive, sent out the form to deputies earlier this week, telling them that they could nominate more than one person for the presidency. The move, days before the closure of nominations today, sparked anger from the three existing candidates who felt the goal posts had been moved at the last minute.

It came as former United Synagogue president, Simon Hochhauser, announced a last-minute run for the top job, seeking the 20 nominations required to be on the ballot.

Merron had “sought advice”, and said that “if deputies do want to nominate more than one person for president or treasurer or more than three for vice-president, then the nomination(s) will be accepted”.

Those who had already made a choice were free to add to their existing nomination, she said. That advice is understood to come from Tony Leifer, chair of the Board’s Constitution Committee, although Mr Leifer refused to speak to the JN on the matter.

But on Wednesday, Ms Merron issued a statement to clarify the “rumour and hearsay” surrounding the elections. Crucially, she conceded: “The constitution is not clear about whether deputies can or cannot nominate multiple candidates, and for which positions, and this needs review. Nevertheless, we must be consistent in our processes, and so in line with the guidance issued when nominations opened, deputies may only nominate one candidate for president, three for vice president and one for treasurer, and not multiple candidates. New guidance will be issued to deputies today.”

The row erupted after Mr Hochhauser made a last-minute decision to challenge the three candidates who have already secured 20 nominations — Marie van der Zyl, Sheila Gewolb, and Edwin Shuker. Mr Hochhauser, who previously ruled himself out of contention, changed his mind after outgoing president Jonathan Arkush used Sunday’s plenary event in Gibraltar to call for more deputies to stand for office.

Each of the original candidates had been nominated by deputies whose nomination form made it clear they could only nominate one person for the post.

But when Mr Hochhauser said he would run, Ms Merron sent out new forms — giving rise to the possibility that his candidacy would depend on a different set of electoral rules.

The move prompted fury from Adrian Cohen, who is running Marie van der Zyl’s campaign, and Andrew Gilbert, who is supporting Edwin Shuker.

Mr Cohen told the JN: “He [Mr Arkush] has caused this whole situation. No-one asked him to call for more candidates or to change the conditions for nominations. Are we supposed just to sit there and be shafted?”

He said that the changing of the rules on nominations would have “cast doubt on the legitimacy” of Simon Hochhauser’s candidacy.

It is understood that the QC’s advice that the new nomination forms were invalid was passed on to the Constitution Committee of the Board, clearly resulting in the second about-turn.

Sheila Gewolb said the first change of heart over the nominations process was “somewhat suspicious, and has certainly been taken, by all of the candidates I have spoken to and all the deputies I have spoken to, as a sign, and the damaging public expression, of a serious lack of confidence in the abilities of any of the candidates already standing”.

Joe Millis, deputy for Bromley Reform, said: ‘I get the feeling that the Board would not be able to organise a drinks party in a place they brew beer. It’s a total farce.’

Support your Jewish community. Support your Jewish News

Thank you for helping to make Jewish News the leading source of news and opinion for the UK Jewish community. Today we're asking for your invaluable help to continue putting our community first in everything we do.

Unlike other Jewish media, we do not charge for content. That won’t change. Because we are free, we rely on advertising to cover our costs. This vital lifeline, which has dropped in recent years, has fallen further due to coronavirus.

For as little as £5 a month you can help sustain the vital work we do in celebrating and standing up for Jewish life in Britain.

Jewish News holds our community together and keeps us connected. Like a synagogue, it’s where people turn to feel part of something bigger. It also proudly shows the rest of Britain the vibrancy and rich culture of modern Jewish life.

You can make a quick and easy one-off or monthly contribution of £5, £10, £20 or any other sum you’re comfortable with.

100% of your donation will help us continue celebrating our community, in all its dynamic diversity...

Engaging

Being a community platform means so much more than producing a newspaper and website. One of our proudest roles is media partnering with our invaluable charities to amplify the outstanding work they do to help us all.

Celebrating

There’s no shortage of oys in the world but Jewish News takes every opportunity to celebrate the joys too, through projects like Night of Heroes, 40 Under 40 and other compelling countdowns that make the community kvell with pride.

Pioneering

In the first collaboration between media outlets from different faiths, Jewish News worked with British Muslim TV and Church Times to produce a list of young activists leading the way on interfaith understanding.

Campaigning

Royal Mail issued a stamp honouring Holocaust hero Sir Nicholas Winton after a Jewish News campaign attracted more than 100,000 backers. Jewish News also produces special editions of the paper highlighting pressing issues including mental health and Holocaust remembrance.

Easy access

In an age when news is readily accessible, Jewish News provides high-quality content free online and offline, removing any financial barriers to connecting people.

Voice of our community to wider society

The Jewish News team regularly appears on TV, radio and on the pages of the national press to comment on stories about the Jewish community. Easy access to the paper on the streets of London also means Jewish News provides an invaluable window into the community for the country at large.

We hope you agree all this is worth preserving.

read more:
comments