Israeli security forces have tracked down and killed a Palestinian accused of killing two Israelis, ending a two-month manhunt hours after troops killed another Palestinian wanted in a separate attack.
Police said Ashraf Naalweh was found armed near the West Bank city of Nablus and was shot dead during an arrest raid.
Israel says Naalweh shot dead two Israelis and wounded another in an attack on a West Bank industrial zone in October. He fled the scene and Israeli forces have been searching for him since.
“Israel’s long arm will reach anyone who harms Israeli citizens,” prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu said.
Police said it had made a number of arrests in its attempt to hunt down Naalweh and suspected he was planning another attack.
On Wednesday, Israeli forces killed Salah Barghouti, a Palestinian suspect wanted in a drive-by shooting earlier this week at a West Bank bus stop, shooting him hours after an Israeli baby delivered prematurely as a result of the attack died.
In Sunday night’s attack, assailants in a Palestinian vehicle opened fire at a bus stop outside a West Bank settlement, wounding seven people, including a 21-year-old pregnant woman, before speeding away.
The terrorist Hamas group that rules the Gaza Strip said that Barghouti and Naalweh were its members but stopped short of claiming responsibility for the attacks the two carried out.
“The flame of resistance in the (West) Bank will remain alive until the occupation is defeated on all our land,” Hamas said.
Also on Thursday, police said an assailant stabbed two officers in Jerusalem’s Old City, wounding them lightly. The officers opened fire on the attacker and he was killed, spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said.
Police identified the man as a 26-year-old Palestinian from the West Bank. It released security camera footage that shows the man lunging towards the officers and appearing to stab them.
Listen to this week’s episode of The Jewish Views podcast!