The Great Jewish Bake Day is on Wednesday. To get you in the baking mood to help Jewish Care raise even more money for its third bake-off, we’re dishing up two delicious recipes!
What will you make and will you win the bake-off?
Norma’s Brilliant Banana Loaf
Norma has shared this recipe, which she says is so easy and is a much-loved favourite by all her friends and family.
She has been a member of Jewish Care’s Connect@Kenton for three years, where older people who are young at heart come for entertainment and discussions over tea and, of course, cake.
- 225g plain flour
- 170g margarine
- 180g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 170g sultanas
- 100g glazed cherries – sliced
- 3 bananas
- Blend together the flour, margarine and sugar until smooth.
- Add the eggs and vanilla essence, then fold in the sultanas and cherries.
- Mash the bananas with a potato masher or alternative and stir into the cake mixture.
- Grease a loaf tin and pour in the mixture. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes on gas mark 4/ 180ºC.
• For more information about Jewish Care Connect@ centres, visit jewishcare.org or call 020 8922 2222
Marian’s Chocolate Triangle CheeseCake
Marian is a resident at Otto Schiff care home for people living with dementia.
Marian used to make this cake for her children when they were little and was happy to pass on this delicious recipe. It is ideal for Shavuot… and all year round!
For the cake:
- 115g margarine
- 115g sugar
- 455g curd cheese
- Grated rind of ¼ lemon
- 1 egg Drop of vanilla essence
- 2 packets of tea biscuits
- ½ cup milk
For the chocolate coating:
- 115g sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa
- 2 tbsp water
- 85g margarine
- Cream together the margarine and sugar.
- Add the cheese, grated lemon rind, egg and vanilla essence and beat until smooth.
- Dip the biscuits in milk and arrange four rows of three biscuits on a sheet of silver foil. Layer the mixture evenly on top of the biscuits.
- Repeat the process twice.
- Put your hands underneath the foil and bring the outer row of biscuits to meet in the centre, forming a triangle. Fold the foil to cover the whole cake and leave in the fridge while making the icing.
- Put the sugar, cocoa and water in a pan and boil until thick.
- Remove and add the margarine, beat well.
- Take out the cake from the fridge and remove the foil.
- When the coating is cool, pour over the top of the cake and leave to set overnight in the fridge.
• To find out more information about Jewish Care dementia services visit jewishcare.org or call 020 8922 2222