Tony Blair‘s spokesman has denied claims that the ex-prime minister is seeking to become US President Donald Trump’s Middle East envoy.
Mr Blair met the president’s son-in-law and key adviser Jared Kushner at the White House last week to discuss working for Mr Trump, according to the Mail on Sunday.
In a statement on Sunday, Mr Blair‘s office said the story was an “invention”. Adding: “Mr Blair has made no such ‘pitch’ to be the president’s Middle East envoy. Neither has he had any discussions about taking such a role or any role working for the new president. He has been working on the peace process for 10 years. He continues to do so. He does so in a private capacity. He will continue to do it in that way. Period.”
The newspaper said Mr Blair has met Mr Kushner three times since September.
After leaving Downing Street, Mr Blair took the role of Middle East envoy for the Quartet Group comprising the EU, US, Russia and UN.