Sadiq Khan has deleted a retweet of a Jewish News story about his opposition to boycotts of Israel.
After being challenged by the Tories to clarify his position, the Labour mayoral hopeful told this newspaper last week that he had “consistently” made clear his opposition to BDS and that peace wouldn’t be achieved by “turning our faces against Israel”.
The story was quickly retweeted by Khan’s Twitter account, provoking negative reactions from several of Israel’s detractors. The retweet has since been deleted.
Former MP George Galloway, who is also standing for mayor, highlighted Khan’s comment on boycotts in a series of tweets, saying they mark “a new low and should bring him only opprobrium and contempt”.
“If you want a London for property magnates, bankers and celebrants of the Apartheid State vote for Khan. Even Khan is ashamed of what he said. He tweeted it, then deleted it.”
A spokesperson for Sadiq Khan said the un-retweet had been “accidental”, and the post had been again endorsed on Twitter, on Monday.
Khan is the current favourite to succeed Boris Johnson at City Hall, ahead of Tory rival Zac Goldsmith.