Just as David Cameron was speaking to Israel’s parliament about the 30 rockets fired from the Gaza Strip already this year, that number tripled, as Islamic Jihad released a barrage in response to an airstrike that killed three of its militants.

Smoke trails are seen after rockets were fired by Palestinians in the southern Gaza Strip towards southern Israel.

Smoke trails are seen after rockets were fired by Palestinians in the southern Gaza Strip towards southern Israel. File image (2012).

In less than an hour on Wednesday afternoon, over 70 rockets were fired into southern Israel, after an IAF strike downed three fighters for firing mortars at Israeli troops.

It was the biggest wave of rockets since 2012 and the launches were detected from all over the Strip, injuring a 57-year-old woman from Sderot who was running for cover.

‘Code Red’ sirens wailed over much of Israel as rockets rained down, with ten falling in Eshkol and two in the Negev.

In a statement, Islamic Jihad said: “The Al-Quds Brigades responded to aggression . We will not break the truce, but will retain the right to respond to the Zionist aggression at the right time and the right place.”

The fighting talk was echoed by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who took to Facebook, writing: “We will continue stopping attacks and hitting those who wish to harm us, and will act against them with full force.”

He continued: “The number of rockets fired from the Gaza Strip in the last year has been the lowest in a decade, but this is not enough for us. We will continue acting to ensure the security of the people of Israel.”

Sderot Mayor Alon Davidi said: “We are counting on the IDF to hit back at the terrorists.”