Originally from Singapore, this salad brings together fruit, vegetables and crispy tofu, so is suitable for vegans, gluten-free and dairy-free guests too! It’s a sweet and spicy salad that is ideal as part of a buffet, or enjoyed as a healthy side dish with your main course.
The dressing uses tamarind, which is a seed pod from the tamarind tree.
This has a unique sweet and sour flavour and used is extensively in Asian and Indian cooking.
It can be found in a jar as a paste or as a block.
Preparation time: 20 mins Cooking time: 10 mins Serves: 6
- 2 large ripe mangoes
- 150g radishes – finely sliced
- 1 cucumber – deseed and cubed
- 1 ripe pineapple – peeled and cubed
- 125g baby spinach
- 350g firm tofu
- 1 fresh red chilli – deseeded and finely chopped
- 100g unsalted peanuts
- 4 tablespoons vegetable/ rapeseed oil
- 2 limes
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- 1 teaspoon chilli paste
- 1 teaspoon tamarind
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
Garnish: Sprigs of mint
- For the dressing, combine the zest from 1 lime and all of the lime juice with the remaining dressing ingredients. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper. Transfer to a jug and set aside.
- Slice the cheeks from the mango and finely slice each one into lengths, removing the skin.
- Mix the mango, radish, cucumber, pineapple and spinach in a salad bowl.
- Cut the tofu into 2cm cubes. Finely slice the chilli.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the peanuts on a tray and toast for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Add the oil to a frying pan and sauté the tofu. Fry for about 10 minutes,or until deep golden on all sides. Sauté the chilli for 2 minutes so just soft.
- Remove and leave to drain on kitchen paper, then scatter on top of the fruit.
- Drizzle over the dressing and top with the toasted peanuts and sprigs of mint.