Caramel apple cheese cake tart
Caramelised apples make a very impressive topping to a regular cheese cake. Cooking the base ensures the biscuits don’t go soggy and there is a distinct separate layer between the two mixtures. Choose a medium fat cheese for a good flavour and texture.
The low fat varieties often make the cake watery.
- Prepare base: Preheat oven to 200°C/ 400°F/ gas mark 6.
- Stir gingersnap biscuit crumbs and butter in a bowl until moist.
- Press crumb mixture on base and up sides of a lightly greased (with cooking spray) 22 cm loose based cake tin.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then remove and set aside.
- Prepare filling: Whisk cream cheese, sugar, egg and mixed spice with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour cream cheese mixture into prepared base and spread evenly.
- Bake at 170°C for 20 to 35 minutes or until centre is almost set.
- Cool completely on a wire rack (about 40 minutes). Chill 8 to 12 hours.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add apples and sugar and cook, stirring often, 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove saucepan from heat, and cool apples completely (about 30 minutes).
- Arrange apples on top of chilled cheesecake in a decorative fashion.
- Microwave apricot jam in a microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 20 to 30 seconds or until melted.
- Brush apples with half of the apricot jam.
- Preheat grill with oven rack 15°cm from heat/ middle shelf.
- Grill tart 3 to 5 minutes or just until apples begin to brown.
- Remove from oven, and brush apples with remaining apricot jam mixture. Chill 1 hour before serving.
- 200g finely ground gingersnap biscuit crumbs
- 75g finely chopped toasted pecans
- 50g butter, melted
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 900g cream cheese
- 100g light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice or cinnamon
- 800g Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 2cm thick wedges
- 50g light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
Preparation time: 40 minutes, cooking time: 1 hour 15 mins (Plus 8 to 12 hours chilling time). Serves 8-10