Fan given five-year football ban over Nazi salute video
search

Fan given five-year football ban over Nazi salute video

Michael Herbert was caught singing anti-Semitic chants on a video filmed at the World Cup in Russia earlier this week.

Screenshot from video of England fans performing Nazi salutes in Russia
Screenshot from video of England fans performing Nazi salutes in Russia

A man has been handed a five-year football banning order after a video appearing to show England fans singing an anti-Semitic song at the World Cup was shared online.

Police investigating the clip served three men with notices under the 1989 Football Spectators Act.

Michael Herbert, 57, appeared at Leicester Magistrates’ Court on Saturday, where he was handed a five-year football banning order, the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) said.

Two other men, aged 52 and 58, appeared at Leeds Magistrates’ Court, where the case was adjourned until Tuesday.

Last week, the Football Association condemned the video, which appeared to show two men giving Nazi salutes in a Russian bar in Volgograd.

The southern Russian city, which was the venue of England’s 2-1 win over Tunisia, was formerly known as Stalingrad – the site of one of the bloodiest battles in history when Soviet soldiers repelled Hitler’s army during the Second World War.

Last Wednesday, a spokesman for the FA said: “We strongly condemn the actions of the people in this video.

“We are working with the relevant authorities, including the UK police investigations team, who are making inquiries to identify the individuals involved and take appropriate action.

“The disgraceful conduct of the individuals in this video does not represent the values of the majority of English football fans supporting the team in Russia.”

Another man, Paul Johnson, 25, appeared before Oxford Magistrates’ Court on Saturday following a separate incident on a train near Moscow last Sunday.

The NPCC, who released a statement on behalf of the Russia World Cup investigations team, said he received a three-year football banning order.

read more:
comments