Fresh peaches are a great summer treat, so make the most of them with this soft creamy dessert. This recipe slices up easily and will transport well, so it is good for the family picnic and summer lunchbox. When shopping for peaches, choose fragrant fruits which are unblemished and firm. Fresh peaches are highly perishable so only purchase what you need. Peaches that are greenish coloured were probably picked too early and should be avoided. Sweetness does not increase after picking, so ripe-picked fruit is always the tastiest.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
200g self raising flour
150g ground almonds
175g golden caster sugar
150ml single cream or soya cream
4 large eggs – beaten
1 teaspoon almond extract
Zest of 1 lemon
6 ripe peaches – stone removed
2 tablespoons runny honey
50g flaked almonds
1 tablespoon vegetable oil – to grease tin
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 350F/ Gas mark 4.
2. Grease and line a 30cm x 23cm x 5cm deep baking tin with baking parchment paper.
3. Place the flour almonds, caster sugar and lemon zest into a food processor and whizz to mix. Add the margarine, cream, eggs and almond extract. Pulse until well combined.
4. Transfer to the prepared tin. Level the mixture evenly and arrange the peaches on top.
5. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle the almonds on top.
6. Bake for 45 minutes or until set.
7. To make make the ‘cream’, place the peaches in a food processor and puree. Add the yoghurt and honey.[divider]
To serve the stylish way: Slice the cake and serve with a generous spoonful of peach honey cream[divider]
Peach honey cream:
200 ml thick natural/ Greek yoghurt or non-dairy toffuti cream cheese
3 tablespoons runny honey
100g dried peaches – soaked in 1 tablespoon brandy (ideally Peach brandy)[divider]
NEXT WEEK: Lamb and mint burgers