This is an all-time Chinese favourite! Getting the beef really crispy is the secret of its success and can only be achieved by frying it in hot oil. The best way to shred the carrots is to use a mandolin or food processor grater. Like many Chinese dishes preparing the ingredients ready for the pan will make it easier to make. I like to serve this with either egg noodles or plain rice.
Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 15 minutes | Serves: 3-4 people [divider]
4 large pieces of prime bola steak cut into strips
2 eggs beaten 1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons corn flour
3 carrots – peeled and finely shredded
3 spring onions shredded
1 garlic clove – peeled and finely chopped
2 red chillies – shredded
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons white rice vinegar
1. Combine the eggs, salt and corn flour and then coat the beef strips
2. Heat the oil to 180C in a deep fat fryer or deep work. Fry the beef strips taking care to add them to the pan one by one. Don’t stir for approximately 10 seconds, then stir to ensure the pieces don’t stick together. (use a chop stick to separate). Cook for approximately 6-7 minutes until brown and crispy. Remove and drain on a plate covered with kitchen paper.
3. Using some of the oil from your deep fat fryer or wok in a separate pan, stir fry the spring onions, chili and carrot.
4. Mix the sugar, garlic, rice vinegar, sweet chilli dipping sauce and soy sauce together. Stir into the pan and cook gently. Finally add the cooked beef and toss together.
• To serve the stylish way: Garnish with sprigs of coriander and chopped spring onions. [divider]
Download Denise’s Jewish Cookery Mobile Recipe Collection at www.jewishcookery.com.