Four year-old Daniel Tregerman was killed by Hamas rockets on Friday

Four year-old Daniel Tregerman was killed by Hamas rockets on Friday

Four-year-old Daniel Tregerman, the first Israeli child to be killed since the beginning of Operation Protective Edge, was laid to rest on Sunday morning. He was killed on Friday afternoon when a mortar fired from Gaza struck his kibbutz in the Sha’ar HaNegev Regional Council.

His mother Gila Tregerman spoke at the ceremony, saying, “Daniel my sweetheart, I cannot believe I am here now, saying goodbye. We were the happiest family in the world, and I just cannot come to grips with it.

“We wanted to say thanks, you taught us how to love and you gave us some much joy. I find solace in the fact that you were a loved and happy child until your last minute.

“We don’t want to say goodbye. You are the love of my life, the perfect child, every parent’s dream: smart, sensitive and beautiful, so beautiful.”

The funeral of 4 year-old Daniel Tregerman on Sunday

The funeral of Daniel Tregerman’s on Sunday

The ceremony was also attended by President Reuven Rivlin, who said, “We dreaded [this] moment more than anything. We knew the terrorists [who] have no regard for the blood of their children would not spare our own.”

“He was stilling learning the alphabet but knew the difference between a shelter and mortar, between an interception and a hit, between birds chirping and the rockets shrieking.” 

Alon Shuster, head of the Sha’ar Hanegev Regional Council said at the funeral, “We are with you in deep mourning.”

“Here in this painful place, we are waiting for another day, a day where children can play in their yard and bomb shelters can be just another room. So many children made it to the bomb shelter and Daniel didn’t make it; we will do all that we can so that life will go on.” 

Shuster also quoted the Talmud saying, “The land of Israel is acquired through suffering.”

Daniel Tregerman’s parents, Gila and Doron, had reportedly left their home in the south of Israel due to constant rocket fire from Gaza, but decided to return a few days before the deadly attack.

This was partly due to the advice of security official, including Chief of Staff Benny Gantz, who assured residents of Israel’s South that it was safe to return home.