Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s big day coincides with the start of Shavuot, so we asked Great British Bake Off finalist Stacey Hart to rustle up a special cheesecake for the occasion!
- Eight-inch lined springform cake tin
- Eight-inch cake tin sprayed on the outside and
covered with parchment
- Lined baking tray
- Stand mixer
For the base
- 300g ginger biscuits (crushed in a freezer bag into fine breadcrumbs)
- 125g Melted butter
For the cheesecake
- 300 ml double cream
- 2 tsp Vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp Pitaya powder
- 360g Philadelphia cheese
- 70g Icing Sugar
- 90g Egg whites (room temp)
- ¼ tsp Cream of tartar
- 180g Caster sugar
- Cream for pavlova
- 200ml double cream
- 250-300g mixed berries
- In a bowl, combine the crushed biscuits and melted butter.
- Pour into the lined cake tin and push down and even out to the edges.
- Refrigerate to set for around 45 mins.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the cream together with the vanilla essence and pitaya powder (or food colouring, if preferred) until stiff peaks are formed.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cream cheese and icing sugar until smooth.
- Whisk into the whipped cream.
- Spoon on top of the base, even out and refrigerate for three hours.
- Make the meringue: Start whipping the egg whites slowly and then speed up to get the mixture to soft peaks.
- Spoon in the caster sugar a spoon at a time (allowing the meringue to become full again after each addition).
- When all the sugar has been added, whisk for another 10 mins until all the sugar is dissolved and the meringue is super thick.
- On a lined baking tray, make an outline of a circle on the other side to follow, if you like.
- Spoon out half the meringue and use the back of a spoon to shape it into a nest.
- Put this in the oven and bake at 100 degrees conventional oven for around 45 mins.
- Leave the meringue to cool.
- When you are ready to serve, assemble the cake.
- Whip the double cream into soft peaks.
- Place the pavlova nest on top of the cheesecake.
- Add the whipped cream and arrange fruit on top.
- Serve and enjoy! Mazeltov Harry and Meghan!
- Follow Stacey Dee’s Kitchen on Instagram, YouTube and Facebook and join Facebook group, What’s Cooking in Stacey Dee’s Kitchen?
Listen to the Jewish Views Podcast:
My 'Royally Good Cheesecake' recipe will be in the @jewishnewsuk tomorrow and on What's Cooking in Stacey Dee's Kitchen on FB
It's got a ginger base (in honour of our Prince ????) a pink cheesecake (in honour of his ????) & a Pav filled with cream and berries#RoyalWedding pic.twitter.com/gtk68OMUsO
— Stacey Hart (@StaceydeeHart) May 16, 2018