King Solomon High School has moved to reassure parents of Year 9 pupils that their annual Israel Trip, which was cancelled at 10pm on Tuesday night just hours before the pupils were due to leave, will go ahead “early next year” and will not impact students’ GCSEs.
It comes after parents expressed annoyance at the “lack of communication” from the school, which confirmed that the trip was off after more than 100 rockets were fired at Israel from the Gaza Strip.
“It’s that there has been a lack of information and communication. To tell us at 10pm, hours before they were due to fly, with no prior warning that they were considering pulling it…well, it leaves a lot of questions unanswered.”
When asked, the school moved quickly to address concerns that the trip was “postponed, not cancelled,” saying that it was “with a heavy heart” that the decision was taken but denied that there had been a lack of communication.
“After much consultation, we felt it was the best decision for our young pupils and for our school,” said Melanie Shutz, Head of Jewish Ethos and Kehila Faculty.
“Parents were communicated with in the most professional manner and they were all extremely supportive. All students will take part in the trip early in the new academic year. It will not cost them any money, nor will they lose money, and it will not impact on their GCSE work.”
One parent, however, described how their daughter was inconsolable upon hearing the news, saying: “She was in floods of tears. The children are absolutely devastated.”
They added: “We’ve had to explain why it’s been cancelled, telling them that they’ll be going later instead, but that’s still not been confirmed, and no-one’s said anything about the £1,500 we paid yet.
“We can’t afford to lose that kind of money. But still, we completely back the decision. As a parent, you’d rather be safe than sorry.”